My Best Creme Caramel – by Robert Zupperoli
A reader posted this on my “family and friends favorites” page. I haven’t tried it, but it sounds very good. If you try the recipe, please give me your feedback or any related tips.
in his own words . . .
This is easy and a definite crowd-pleaser . . .
preheat oven to 350
- Five Jumbo Egg Yolks
- Four Jumbo Eggs
- Three & 3/4 cups of Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 – 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- An Angel Food or Bundt cake pan, a souffle mold will work as well
- 1 cup sugar, plus three table spoons ice cold water
- a 13 x 9 baking pan
a tea kettle of boiling water
- serving bowl
- in a nonreactive sauce pan heat the 1 cup of sugar and water until dissolved, stir little, allow the sugar to carmelize, it helps if you leave the sugar to carmelize on its own. When it starts to boil, with a pastry brush dipped in water brush down the sides of the pan so the sugar does not crystalize on the side of the pan. When it carmelizes (turns golden brown) pour into the pan you are planning on using to bake the custard in, swirl the pan to coat all the sides, invert into the serving bowl, and allow to cool. Don’t let the caramel get too dark in color or it may taste burnt. Watch it closely as it can burn quickly.
- beat egg yolks and eggs with sugar until thick and lemon colored. beat on a high speed.
- simmer milk and vanilla, when small bubble start to form on the side of the pan the milk is ready. temper the eggs by adding a cup of warm milk to the eggs and sugar. Continue to stire the milk and eggs, slowly add the rest of the milk to the egg mixture. mix well to combine.
- pour custard into the prepared mold
- place custard in 13 x 9 baking pan and pour boiling water in the pan till the water comes up the sides of the mold by about an inch to an inch and a half
- bake in preheated for 50 – 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- remove from oven and allow to cool. when the custard has cooled to room temp. you may need to loosen the sides with a knife. place in the refrigerator until you are ready to invert it into the serving bowl and serve.