Savory Herb & Gruyere Strata
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, plus more for buttering pan
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2½ cups Gruyere cheese (about 10 ounces
- 2½ cups Swiss cheese (about 10 ounces)
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh sage, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 pound loaf of day old French bread, cut into ½-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Liberally butter a 7×11 inch glass baking dish and set aside. Saute shallots in butter until soft. Add wine and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes to reduce the wine. Set aside.
Whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl, add shallot wine mixture. Combine the cheese and herbs together. Add al but 1 cup cheese to the egg mixture then carefully fold in the bread pieces. Allow to stand a minimum of 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese herb mixture. Bake bread pudding until golden and puffed, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.