Avocado and Mango Salad with Tequila-lime Vinaigrette
Avocado and Mango Salad with Tequila-Lime Vinaigrette
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission by Viviane Banquet Farre
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest (use a microplane grater)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (use a microplane grater)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Gold or Reposado Tequila
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the tortilla strips
- 1 large flour tortilla – cut in 1/8” x 2” strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- large pinch sea salt
For the salad
- 2 bunches arugula – root ends trimmed, rinsed and spun dry
- 1 large ripe mango – peeled, cheeks cut in 1/8” slices
- 1 firm, ripe avocado – peeled and cut in 1/8” slices
Step 1: To make the vinaigrette – place the zests, juice, Tequila, vinegar, oil, Tabasco and salt in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
Step 2: To make the tortilla strips – heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the tortilla strips. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until golden on all sides and crispy, tossing from time to time. Remove from heat, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with salt and cool to room temperature.
Cook’s note: Once cooled, the tortilla strips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Step 3: To serve, place a few leaves of arugula in the center of each plate. Drizzle with half the vinaigrette. Top with slices of avocado and mangoes, alternating them and slightly overlapping the slices. Drizzle with the balance of the vinaigrette. Garnish with the tortilla strips and serve immediately.